At Jackson Heights School, students experience the mandated Alberta curriculum by engaging in learning through a Universal Design for Learning approach. This approach to learning celebrates that all students learn in different ways. At Jackson Heights, we honour that diversity and provide students a variety of ways to demonstrate their learning. Our approach is to provide our students with choice and make cross-curricular connections. We strive to provide our students with cognitive challenge, through social learning, that enhances our students' sense of self and well-being. This allows our students to develop strong problem solving skills and social skills necessary for 21st Century Learning. Fitness, wellness, and overall good health are promoted at Jackson Heights. We believe that everyone is smart in different ways and we embrace and celebrate this diversity at our school!
In 2016 – 2017, we are pleased to provide the following programming:
- Grades K – 6 programming which follows the Alberta provincial curriculum
- Interactions Program(special program designed for children with autism)
- Balanced literacy programming that includes guided reading, literacy centres, and novel study
- Leveled Literacy Intervention program targeting students in Grades 2 and 3
- French as a Second Language, Grades 4 – 6
- Daily physical activity
- An excellent music program
- Modern technology – SMART boards in classes, access to Chrome Books, and iPads
- The Franklin Covey Foundation, “Leader in Me” Program
- A variety of extracurricular activities, including running club, Reading Rock Stars, board games
- Student Leadership opportunities: AMA safety patrols, library helpers, office helpers, and buddy reading
- Daily lunch supervision available, for a monthly fee, for children who need to stay for lunch
“It takes a village to raise a child.” We are very fortunate to have a strong village that values teaching and learning in the classroom, positive social interactions, daily physical activity, ongoing assessments that demonstrate students learning and understanding, and communication between home and school.
Supply lists for the 2017-2018 school year can be found under the FOR PARENTS tab in the section PARENT RESOURCES.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the school office at 780 465-9797 or by email Jackson Heights@epsb.ca.